Currently Active Enhancement Projects
GMG-EP-2 (2020-2022) (funded by Shell): Stress-based seismicity forecasting for CO2 storage.
- WP1:Development of a modeling framework to estimate pore pressure, reservoir deformation, and stress variations with uncertainties quantification. Estimate seismicity rate with account for the nucleation process represented using the rate&state formalism.
- WP2: Evaluation of the forecasting performance using the Groningen test case. This task involves the production of a seismicity catalog produced with Machine Learning techniques.
-Elías R Heimisson, Jonathan D Smith, Jean-Philippe Avouac, Stephen J Bourne, Coulomb threshold rate-and-state model for fault reactivation: application to induced seismicity at Groningen, Geophysical Journal International, Volume 228, Issue 3, March 2022, Pages 2061–2072, https://doi.org/10.1093/gji/ggab467. [PDF].
-Meyer, H., Smith, J. D., Bourne, S., & Avouac, J-P. (2023). An integrated framework for surface deformation modelling and induced seismicity forecasting due to reservoir operations. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 528, 299-318. https://doi.org/10.1144/SP528-2022-169. [PDF].
GMG-EP-3 (2023-2024) (funded by ExxonMobil): Improving the understanding of injection induced earthquakes in the Permian Basin, Texas.
- WP1:Surface deformation measurements.
- WP2: Stochastic declustering of seismicity.
- WP3: Stress-based probabilistic seismicity model.
- WP4: Deterministic modeling of fault response to injections.