GMG-1 (2018 - 2021) - Infrastructure system resiliency via InSAR ground deformation monitoring
- Identify ground deformation (landslides, settlement) in Los Angeles affecting the risk of water infrastructure.
- Develop automated process of deformation map retrieval using interferometric data and image correlation.
- Compare with ground-based measurements from state-of-practice site surveying of said features.
Li, B. Q., Khoshmanesh, M., & Avouac, J.-P. (2021). Surface deformation and seismicity induced by poroelastic stress at the Raft River geothermal field, Idaho, USA. Geophysical Research Letters, 48, e2021GL095108. https://doi.org/10.1029/2021GL095108 [PDF] *GMGPUB5
GMG-2 (2018 - 2021) - Seismicity due to hydraulic stimulation for geothermal energy production.
- WP1: Develop a code to model thermo-poro-elastic stress variations and deformation due to fluid injection. (Y1)
- WP2: Use Observations from Brawley to test/calibrate the model and analyze the relation to seismicity (Y1)
Im, K. & Avouac, J.P., (2021). On the role of thermal stress and fluid pressure in triggering seismic and aseismic faulting at the Brawley Geothermal Field, California, Geothermics, 97. [PDF] *GMGPUB7
Im, Kyungjae and Avouac, Jean-Philippe (2021) Tectonic tremor as friction-induced inertial vibration. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 576 . Art. No. 117238. ISSN 0012-821X. doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2021.117238. [PDF] *GMGPUB6
Im, K., Avouac, JP., Heimisson, E.R. et al. Ridgecrest aftershocks at Coso suppressed by thermal destressing. Nature 595, 70–74 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-021-03601-4 https://rdcu.be/cnuGU *GMGPUB4
Avouac, J-P, Vrain, M., Kim, T., Smith, J., Ader, T., Ross, Z., Saarno, T., (2021) A Convolution Model for Earthquake Forecasting Derived from Seismicity Recorded During the ST1 Geothermal Project on Otaniemi Campus, Finland, Proceedings World Geothermal Congress. [PDF] *GMGPUB3
GMG-3 (2018) - Relating ground subsidence, seismicity and reservoir operations at Groningen
- WP1: Enhanced seismicity seismicity catalog with AI methods for phase detection, association, & EQs location
- WP2: Use production data to estimate pore pressure, assimilating surface subsidence information. Test effect of heterogeneities of elastic properties.
GMG-5 (2018-2019) - Modeling and simulation of hydraulic fracturing processes, microseismicity, and environmental impact
- Further validate MMHF against imaging experiments..
- Apply MMHF to estimate fracking performance in the desired settings.
- Apply MMHF to estimate fracking fluid leak off to nearby groundwater formations.
GMG-7 & 8 (2018) - Microseismic Monitoring with Deep Learning
- Adapt the method for vertical only data. Apply to SAF and SBB arrays, and the geothermal data.
- Smith, Jonthan D. and Ross, Zachary E. and Azizzadenesheli, Kamyar et al. (2022) HypoSVI: Hypocentre inversion with Stein variational inference and physics informed neural networks. Geophysical Journal International, 228 (1). pp. 698-710. ISSN 0956-540X. doi:10.1093/gji/ggab309. [PDF]
- Smith, Jonathan D. and Azizzadenesheli, Kamyar and Ross, Zachary E. (2021) EikoNet: Solving the Eikonal Equation with Deep Neural Networks. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 59 (12). pp. 10685-10696. ISSN 0196-2892. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2020.3039165. https://resolver.caltech.edu/CaltechAUTHORS:20200526-084219717 *GMGPUB10.
GMG-10 (2020) - Characterizing geothermal tremor
GMG-EP-1 (2019-2020) (funded by Total): Evaluation of the effect of pore pressure diffusion and poro-elastic stress on seismicity induced by fluid injections.
- WP1: Application of machine learning algorithms to detect and located induced earthquakes, using in particular sites in West Texas. Estimate stress variations due to pore pressure diffusion and poroelastic effect and assess the relationship to seismicity.
Li, B., Avouac, J-P., Ross, Z., Du, J., Rebel, E., (2020) Induced seismicity in the Dallas-Fort Worth Basin: Enhanced seismic catalogue and evaluation of fault slip potential, SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts 2020. September 2020, 1304-1308. https://library.seg.org/doi/10.1190/segam2020-3428222.1 *GMGPUB1